How to use traffic exchanges to make money online
But first, what is a Traffic Exchange
How to use traffic exchanges to make money online: A traffic exchange is any system of viewing other website or blog pages in return for visitors viewing your own blog or site. It is one of the fastest free ways to get your website, blog or offer in front of as many eyes as possible once it is up and running.
If you have a list of sources of free traffic to your site, you must include traffic exchanges on that list.
Traffic exchanges may be manual or automatic. This article is about manual traffic exchanges only. Here is a list of manual traffic exchanges that I have joined:
Join all of these recommended traffic exchanges now
Automatic traffic exchanges are a complete waste of your time. Ignore them.
How to use traffic exchanges to make money online: How traffic exchanges work?
First you must join a traffic exchange. There are hundreds. Over the years I have seen many traffic exchanges come and go. So only join the top performing exchanges. You can see a list of the best traffic exchanges here in this article.
After joining you will be given 2 links. One link is called the surf url or surf link. The other is called the referral url or referral link.
Surf url (surf link)
With this link, you can start surfing. Just click on the link to start. As you surf, you will view pages belonging to other surfers using the traffic exchange. As you surf, you are rewarded with credits and your credit balance increases. The more pages you surf, the more credits you collect. Most of the pages that you see will belong to other internet marketers who are promoting their blogs, products, websites, etc
The credit system works on a 2:1 ratio. This means that for every 2 pages that you view, 1 visitor is sent to your site. If you view 100 pages, you will get 50 visitors to your own page.
Referral url (referral link)
All good traffic exchanges will provide you with an affiliate link. Always promote your traffic exchange affiliate link. When you do this, new members will join the exchange through your affiliate link and will become part of your team.
This is powerful because when they surf using their own surf links as described above, you earn credits.
These credits will be added to your overall credit balance for that exchange. The more credits you have, the more traffic to your site.
So yes! You will get more credits and more traffic and therefore more visitors to your site even though you are not surfing but other people in your team are.
Option to upgrade
All good traffic exchanges have the option to upgrade to a paid membership. The advantages of a paid membership are these:
1. No need to surf regulalrly for traffic. Visitors are sent automatically to your site.
2. When you do surf, you get a premium ratio for your credits. So instead of a ratio of 2:1 for example you get a ratio of 1:1. Instead of you to view 2 pages in exchange for 1 visitor to your page, you get one visitor for each page that you view.
Promote your own page
In the control panel of the traffic exchange, there will be a box to enter the url of the blog or site that you wish to promote.
Or you may wish to promote just one page such as a squeeze page for collecting emails or a sales page. Alternatively, you may enter your affiliate link or the link to whatever product that you intend to promote on the exchanges. The choice is entirely yours.
Advantages of traffic exchanges
1. There is a free option. If money is tight,or you are cheap, or you have tons of time and no money (and not the other way around) then you will easily get real free traffic to your site.
2. This is a great system for new sites with no traffic. It will get you visitors quicker than search engine traffic will (which takes months to appear)
3. By surfing the exchanges, you can find out quickly about what other marketers are promoting.
4. You can get ideas of how to design eye catching squeeze pages. If you find your self stopping to read a page, ask yourself: What attracted me to that page or advert?
5. You can get ideas of what products to promote to other marketers. Especially if your niche is not a beginners niche.
Disadvantages of Traffic Exchanges
1.Traffic Exchanges can be extremely time consuming. You need to swap your time for traffic. If you are building your site up to thousands of visitors per day then do not focus on traffc exchanges alone.
The best way to use a traffic exchange is by being a paid member of several exchanges WITH a huge team who have signed up through your personal affiliate links or the links of your team members.
Furthermore, many exchanges require you to surf a minimum number of pages per month in order to remain active. So it is difficult to escape the time commitment.
2. Some people cheat the system and try to gain more credits by using scripts. This means less real visitors to your page. Many exchanges have anti-cheat devices installed such as captchas. Good. Also, the exchanges with lax systems tend not to last very long in the buisiness. Only join exchanges that have a good track record and a good history.
3. Quality of the traffic. How targeted are these visitors? How interested are they in the pages that they are viewing. Genreally, this boils down to accepting that most users of traffic exchanges are primarily interested in getting trtaffic to their own site and less interested in other offers. During the signu-up phase, some exchanges ask about you product and its niche and promosie to send targeted and relevant visitors onlh to yoursite. Test and see.
How to use a Traffic Exchanges effectively
1. Join at least 10 traffic exchanges. Joining one traffic exchange is good but joining 10 is ten times better: You get ten times more traffic. Using traffic exchanges can become time consuming unless you upgrade to a paid mebership in all of them or use them as I will show you in this article.
After you join a traffic exchange, you will be asked to enter the url of the page that you want to advertise. Now it will be a royal pain in the behind if you had to enter different urls into different exchanges each time you wanted to advertise different pages. How do you keep track of different traffic exchanges if you are using each one to advertise a different product? So here is how to avoid that problem.
2. Promote THE SAME URL in each different traffic exchange! Yes THE SAME URL. This url that you will only ever promote is called a ROTATOR.
I use the rotator that comes with blue-surf.
Here is how it works. Open a free blue-surf account at blue-surf.com. In your blue-surf account, go to your rotator and you can fill ten different slots with up to ten different urls that you want to promote. Or more if you want. I have 20.
So the single blue-surf rotator url that you advertise in your traffic exchanges, will represent ten different pages. What the rotator url does is offer up each of your ten pages in turn whenever the rotator url is requested. Try it and see. You only ever need to edit urls in your blue-surf rotator account.
3. Use a tabbed browser. Open several tabs and open a different traffic exchange in each tab. You can save the surf links to a spreadsheet. Add your login and password details to the spreadsheet if it helps.
I save all my traffic exchanges as a group in my browsere and bookmark them. This way, I can open them all in one go by opening several tabs at once.
Start surfing and work your way through all the tabs and back to the first and continue in this manner.
As you surf, read the offers, subscribe here and there and join the odd program or 2. Make a purchase or two.
Build up massess of credits by surfing this way.
4. Build your teams in each traffic exchange. The easy way to do this is to first create a single page that lists your referral links for each exchange. Then advertise this page on the exchanges.
Remember that people joinf traffic exchanges everyday and surf them everyday. Give them the opportunity to join through your referral links. Grow your team. Get credits from your own surfing activity and also get free credits from your team who are surfing when you are not. More credits = more traffic = more money.
5. Think business to business. Most surfers on a traffic exchange are internet marketers who are busy building their businesses. So most of your products should be anything that will help them to build their business. Promote products that are useful for internet marketers in traffic exchanges. Eg an email list building service, bluprints and manuals, good traffic techniques, free gifts in exchange for an email address etc etc.
6. Only ever promote a fast loading page. Remeber that a surfer on an exchange will be moving quickly from page to page. Also, ten seconds is the usual time allowed for viewing a page before the ‘next page’ button becomes live again. Slow loading pages will not have enough time to load. Especially if you are using video. So test the page first. Squeeze pages usually load fast.
7. Collect email addresses. As always, in internet marketing, you should always have one primary goal; Collect email addresses.
Join all of these traffic exchanges now